Friday, July 30, 2021

1) The one with the introduction...



How the world has changed in the 5 years that have passed since Rio 2016 - the last time I set up an online blog.
(Still available at referoo.weebly.com)


The Rio games were the first to be held in South America. They almost didn’t happen due to funding crises, poor early ticket sales, insecure legacy planning and alleged corruption. With 10 days before the opening ceremony, the BBC led with a report saying it was make or break for Rio, followed by reports 48 hours before I was due to fly out that the games were on the verge of being cancelled.
But they happened. Boy, did they happen!
Now here we are, 5 years down the line from the Games that nearly didn’t happen, 1 year on from when Tokyo 2020 was supposed to have happened and 3 weeks away from when I’m due to board a plane bound for Japan. In my Rio blog, my first post concluded with

"As a first-time Paralympic referee, my involvement will end at the conclusion of the group stages and I will return home to my family and regular job. But I will be there. In Rio. At a Paralympic Games. And I can't wait.

But I will have to, for just a little bit longer..."

Apparently, waiting is a key theme with things like this, but the wait will be well worth it! Also, in contrast to Rio, I be officiating for the duration of the tournament which will bring new experiences and challenges along the way.

I have so many things buzzing round in my head prior to leaving. I hope this blog will help provide an insight into my experiences before, during and after the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games, as well as providing me with a focus and outlet for the countless hours of Playbook-stipulated isolation I anticipate being under when not officiating.
Check back regularly for updates during the build up and throughout the Games in Tokyo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

12) The one with a life through a lens

This update is simply an opportunity to share some of the photographs I have taken over the last week or so from our journeys to the arenas ...