Sunday, August 15, 2021

6) The one in Loogaborooga

Loughborough University. 

Arguably one of the greatest sporting establishments in the world, and my base for the final 2 days of my family-based 'isolation'. 

Loughborough is also an excellent example of the perversion of the English language - the teacher in me just looks at the spelling and phonics of the word and shudders... HOW can you tell someone that it is pronounced 'Luffburra' (or similar). Thankfully, an American basketball-playing student told me many years ago that he studied at 'Loogaborooga'. The name has stuck ever since!

Following numerous lateral flow tests, temperature checks and Covid-protocol cross-referencing, I was able to join the GB Women's Camp Bubble for 48 hours to get up to speed with some elite-level preparation for the Games. 

Joining the bubble meant I was only permitted to be in the sports hall or at the Elite Athlete Hotel (based at the University), but it gave me an excellent chance to understand the restrictions of bubble-based living which await me in Japan. Lots of reading, remote-working, TV watching and resting will be the order of the day in-between refereeing games. It's a real shame that sightseeing will not be permitted, but I'm holding out some hope that the 45 minute journey out to the Musashino Forest Plaza every other day will present a few 'through the window' photo opportunities! 

Without going into specific detail (on the highly unlikely premise that opposition coaches and players might be reading this!), the GB women were going through their final preparations with a high level of intensity - a perfect opportunity for me to stand on the sidelines and watch chair movement, look for contact, observe their chair control but also to listen to specific things they were practising. 

It was really helpful being allowed to sit in on their video sessions and listen to how they were planning to match up against varying opponents, as well as offering referee insight into some of the set plays and drills they were practising. Interim Head Coach Simon Fisher also asked if I would talk with the team about how the referees have been preparing, and offer advice on how to build positive player/coach/referee relationships quickly in games. 

As you can see from the photograph, PPE was still required whilst I refereed some of the scrimmage situations. Face mask, nitrile gloves and a HAND WHISTLE were the rules which I had to follow - the hand whistle was anointed 'Gilbert', quickly had a face drawn on it and has become my unofficial mascot of the Games for me. (And yes, Gilbert WILL be coming to Tokyo with me!) I also had chance to catch up with another Tokyo-bound ITO - Janine Timms. She is one of the six Game Commissioners for the wheelchair basketball competition, and a friend I have known for the best part of 20 years. She was a table official for London 2012 and has been a GC for the European Championships and World Championships. Tokyo 2020 will be her first Paralympic Games as a GC. 

Bearing in mind that my last international-level matches were more than 2 years ago (a friendly series of men's matches between GB vs Canada), this whole experience of joining GB's camp was not only massively helpful, but reassuring and calming as well. There was a real chance that I was going to fly to Tokyo without having refereed a match in 18 months, and this was a huge concern for me. If only for a moment, the thought of my first match in a year and a half being on the global stage was enough to sow seeds of doubt in my mind - Was I doing the right thing in accepting my re-nomination? Would I be the only referee in this situation? etc etc etc... however it quickly became evident that many of my friends and colleagues joining me in Tokyo had similar feelings. I am also grateful to British Wheelchair Basketball for putting me in touch with some teams for some additional practise - in the space of 10 days I have chalked up the equivalent of 5 games and am heading off to Tokyo feeling much happier and more prepared. 

As a final note, I had to have my first ParalympicsGB PCR test administered at camp. The kind of test which must be performed by a medically trained person where they make the swab disappear into your head and tickle your brain... Although slightly uncomfortable, I was really impressed to receive the results in less than 24 hours - and that INCLUDED the time it took to collect the test kit and fly it to Belfast for testing! There are 2 more of these tests to be done - one at 96 hours before departure and a second one within 72 hours of departure. These are both booked with a local doctor and the courier drop box is only a 15 minute drive away. Being included in the ParalympicsGB testing program has been of huge benefit and one less thing for myself and the other GB-based technical officials to worry about. I know of many other colleagues from around the world who are finding it much more challenging to meet the very strict testing requirements of the Japanese government, and to be using the same company that tested the entirety of TeamGB for the Olympic Games is reassuring to say the least. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ben good blog. Do you know who your co officials are in your team/squad. Can you tell us a bit about them. Cheers Simon.

    ReplyDelete

12) The one with a life through a lens

This update is simply an opportunity to share some of the photographs I have taken over the last week or so from our journeys to the arenas ...